I’m running for Mayor to bring a renewed focus on ethics and transparency in Troy so that we can rebuild trust in our great city.
We need a fresh start in Troy with a new style of leadership. As your Mayor, I will set the right tone for our city by listening to and respecting all voices, recognizing its diversity, and governing with the integrity and decorum we deserve, as I have proven to do as your council member and Mayor Pro Tem.
For the past ten years, I have been highly focused on helping the people of Troy, living here as a deep-rooted part of our community—whether as the owner of my Troy-based law firm, watching Bethany’s (my wife) Troy-based family therapy business grow, as the President of my Troy neighborhood homeowner’s association for the past nine years, raising our three school-aged children here in Troy, being an active member and leader of the Troy Community Coalition, and in my current role as Mayor Pro Tem and a member of Troy City Council, fighting for transparency and oversight relating to our disgraced former City Manager and protecting our city’s assets.
Troy is unique in that it has a very strong economy that thrives on development and also has our beautiful subdivisions, quiet residential neighborhoods, parks and greenspace. I have proven to balance these often competing interests to keep Troy’s economy booming and tax base healthy while also recognizing the extremely valid concerns of our residents who fear losing the very essence of the Troy they have known and loved. We can have both, and we can do it in an open, transparent, and respectful way. Everything I have done over the past ten years has been done for the people of Troy and I look forward to doing what’s right for you, the city we love, its residents and its businesses for the next four years as your Mayor.
- Ethan is married to Bethany, a Marriage and Family Therapist, Art Therapist and Michigan’s first Certified Emotionally Focused Therapist – Ethan and Bethany are blessed to have three wonderful children—Arden, their 12-year-old daughter; Canaan, their 10-year-old son; and Aven, their 7-year-old daughter. While Ethan takes great pride in his career and professional accomplishments, he is most proud of his family, which always comes first. He is excited that his children are being raised here in Troy, and looks forward to them planting their own family roots here as they grow up.
- Mayor Pro Tem & Troy City Councilman, elected November 2015 – Ethan has been a principled and dedicated public servant, committed to a robust and growing business environment, along with safe and community-centered neighborhoods for individuals and families. With a focus on Truth and Transparency, Ethan recognizes the importance of earning the Trust of the residents he represents.
- Troy Attorney specializing in Elder Law & Estate Planning, Business Law, and Real Estate – Ethan’s core principle is that all clients should be treated with the individual attention and respect they deserve, in order to build lasting and personal relationships, while providing them with the legal expertise they require.
- Special Assistant to President & Mrs. Ronald Reagan in their post-presidential office – Ethan was essential to numerous projects, and was fortunate to observe President Reagan’s leadership style, communication savvy, and skill in endearing himself with a variety of people.
- Elected Board President of the Hills of Charnwood in Troy for 9 years and running – Ethan has served on the Hills of Charnwood board for ten years, and has been elected and re-elected President of the Board for the past nine, where Ethan presides over an active and fiscally conservative board.
- 2016 Oakland County Executive Elite 40 Under 40 award – Presented by County Executive L. Brooks Patterson to honor exceptional individuals under age 40 who excel in their fields and improve the quality of life in Oakland County.
- Elected Precinct Delegate for Troy’s 6th Precinct – Ethan has been elevated to, and attended, multiple State Conventions and represented the voices and interests of the 6th Precinct.
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, University of Southern California
- Juris Doctorate, Whittier College School of Law, graduating Magna Cum Laude
- Member of Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
- Capital Campaign Committee Member, Consultant, and Volunteer for the Michigan WWII Legacy Memorial
- 2019 Breakfast Chairperson and Committee-Member for the Troy Community Coalition Annual Prayer Breakfast
- Member of the Troy Kiwanis Club
Councilman Ethan Baker is the ONLY Mayoral Candidate to listen to our community when we asked him to:
*Be transparent and vote to release the confidential Lange Report on Brian Kischnick
*Protect the Health, Safety, Welfare, and Character of our neighborhoods by voting against the McClure Road Apartments
*Fight against wasteful spending and lead the way to end to the underused Troy Trolley/Big Beaver Shuttle
*Stand with our neighborhoods and vote against the proposed Long Lake EZ Storage
*Appoint the City Manager our city needed for stability and a focus on ethics
*Request additional input and designs for our gateway signage
*Investigate the “Culture of Complicity” and call for an ethics probe of all City Council members
Ethan listened and was there for us!
In addition, while Ethan has been on council he:
*Was appointed and serves as our current Mayor Pro Tem
*Consistently passed responsible budgets to protect our AAA bond rating and never raise taxes
*Approved the cluster ordinance to protect and preserve our green space
*Supported additional funding requests, vehicles and equipment for our Troy Police Department
*Supported additional funding requests, vehicles and equipment for our Troy Fire Department
*Kept the Troy Trails & Pathways out of our quiet neighborhoods and promoted greater community engagement and planning
*Chaired the Troy Community Coalition Annual Prayer Breakfast and increased funding to keep our children safe
*Co-lead the charge to keep marijuana grow operations from overcoming our city and retail marijuana dispensaries completely out
*Proudly attended hundreds of community events and ribbon cuttings, representing our city with dignity and integrity